This was the first recipe I found when I decided to experiment with dairy free alternatives to cheese. OMG! I cannot believe how creamy and delicious cashew cream is and, in my opinion, it tastes just like cheese.
- 2 slices nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds organic free-range chicken tenders or chicken thighs (see recipe note)
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (if needed)
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ cup organic chicken stock
- ½ cup sun-dried tomato (packed in oil), drained and chopped roughly
- ½ cup cashew cream (see recipe note)
- 2 cups organic baby spinach
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove, drain oil except for 1 tablespoon.
- Add chicken in batches (if necessary) and cook on each side until lightly browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- Add oil if the pan is dry. Add onion and garlic, and lower heat to medium low and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and sun-dried tomato and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in cashew cream.
- Add spinach, bacon and return chicken to pan and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted, and everything is combined. If your sauce is too thick, add a bit more chicken stock to thin it out.
- Serve immediately with your choice of rice or pasta. Enjoy!!
Recipe Note: To make cashew cream…
Place 1 cup of raw cashews in a bowl and cover with cold water for at least an hour, or up to 8 hours. Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a small food processor or high-speed blender. Puree with ¼ cup of water and ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Blend until smooth. Keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
adapted from Lexi’s Clean Living