I often buy already cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp, but recently my husband came home with a bag of uncooked shrimp, so I decided to see if there was a special way to prepare them and came across this recipe. Turns out, I have never had shrimp cocktail that taste so good and now this is the only way I will make them.
- 1 pound raw wild caught shrimp (shell-on)
- 8 cups water
- ½ tablespoon finely ground sea salt
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Peel shrimp and devein if not done so already. Keep shells for shrimp boil.
- Place the shells from the shrimp in a large saucepan with sea salt, garlic powder, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once water boils, add peeled and deveined shrimp and simmer until pink, about 2-3 minutes depending on size of shrimp.
- Drain and transfer cooked shrimp to a bowl of cold water and ice to stop the cooking process and let cool.
- Serve with lemon and cocktail sauce. Enjoy!!
adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen