- 1 pound raw wild caught shrimp (shell-on)
- 8 cups water
- ½ tablespoon finely ground sea salt
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Peel shrimp and devein if not done so already. Keep shells for shrimp boil.
- Place the shells from the shrimp in a large saucepan with sea salt, garlic powder, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once water boils, add peeled and deveined shrimp and simmer until pink, about 2-3 minutes depending on size of shrimp.
- Drain and transfer cooked shrimp to a bowl of cold water and ice to stop the cooking process and let cool.
- Serve with lemon and cocktail sauce. Enjoy!!
adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen
If you are willing to put in the extra work, especially if like me you normally buy your shrimp already cleaned, cooked and deveined, the extra effort is worth it!! I have never had shrimp cocktail that taste this good!