I was never a fan of fresh blueberries in muffins, I preferred the ones with imitation blueberries, but those are filled with sugar and chemicals. I was looking for a healthy alternative to make this recipe and couldn’t find any. One day I was shopping in Trader Joe’s and I came across their selection of freeze-dried fruits. Hmmmm, wonder if they would work? I first tried using them whole and felt they were too hard and didn’t have much flavor. On my second attempt I ground them in my mini food processor, Viola! They came out delicious and I have since made other variations using Trader Joe’s freeze-dried strawberries and freeze-dried bananas.
- ¼ cup organic coconut flour, sifted after measuring
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 3 large pasture raised eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted or ghee
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Trader Joe’s Freeze-dried Blueberries, finely ground
- cooking spray (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉.
- Lightly grease or spray size wells of standard muffin pan or line them with grease or spray muffin liners.
- Sift together the coconut flour and baking powder. Mix until blended.
- Stir together eggs, butter, honey, salt and vanilla until smooth.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until there are no lumps. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter until evenly incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about half full.
- Bake muffins for about 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let them cool for about 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!
adapated from All Recipes