- 3 cups cooked organic brown rice (I cheat and use Trader Joe’s Frozen Organic Brown Rice, just 3 minutes to cook in microwave)
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drain and rinse well
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1-2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 diced yellow or red bell pepper
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- finely ground sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic, peppers and carrots, cook until desired tenderness (I like my veggies soft).
- Add chickpeas, brown rice, raisins, spices and cilantro (if desired). Stir to coat and cook until chickpeas and brown rice are heated.
- Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!!
Recipe Note: For a lower carb version, substitute cooked brown rice with cooked cauliflower rice.
adapted from Only Gluten Free Recipes